If your water heater has gone out or you’re building a new home, purchasing a water heater is a substantial investment. The cost to heat your water is typically the second highest household expense; therefore, it makes sense to take the time to ensure you purchase the right water heater for your home. There are three factors you should consider when buying your next water heater.
There are at least five different types of water heaters including storage, tankless, heat pump, solar and condensing.
- Storage – has an insulated tank to heat and store the water until it’s needed.
- Tankless – this type is more efficient since it only heats the water with coils when needed.
- Heat pump – uses less energy because it captures heat from the air to heat the water.
- Solar – a cell is mounted on the roof to absorb the sun.
- Condensing – this type is available for 55 gallons or more and can be used if heating with gas.
A water heater company Pleasanton CA can advise you on the best type of water heater for your needs.
The two most common types of water heaters are storage and tankless. A typical size for a storage water heater is 40, 50 or 55 gallons. Select the capacity depending on the size of your household and remember to check the first-hour rating. Tankless water heaters don’t store a lot of water so you need to consider the gallons-per-minute rating (GPM). The more people you have in your family, a higher GPM is recommended.
As with any product you purchase, there are various features available on different water heaters. There are anti-scale devices, warranties and digital displays. Understand the available features on different models when comparing water heaters.
When selecting your water heater, factor in the type, capacity and features. A professional from a water heater company can also help you select one that will be right for you home.